Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reinventing the wheel...


So I'm posting up a new "old" piece here. The story goes like this... I did an illustration very much like this one back in my college days. It's always been a favourite of mine, but the execution of the work showed flaws 5 years after the fact. So I had this dilemma on my hands... do I use the piece or forget about it? Neither. I just recreated it from parts of the old illustration and a truck-load of my most up-to-date photos. Now, I think I've breathed some new life into an old idea that I really enjoyed.

I can't recommend this enough to any other artists reading this... sometimes you've had ideas years and years ago that you've since forgotten about. Maybe you have some work that you aren't too likely to show to anyone because it doesn't represent you anymore. But there's no harm in recycling an old idea and updating your work. As a matter of fact, it's a great way to revisit old inspiration you haven't thought of in a while. Or, to build up your portfolio when you think you're just 'out of ideas.' No, you're not. You just had that great idea a long time ago. Consider the old version a preliminary sketch and get back on the horse, pal. There's art to be made!!

-c

No comments: